A TEENAGER who sexually assaulted a girl in Strathaven has avoided going behind bars.
Aaron Graham was originallyaccused of intent to rape the 15-year-old but his guilty plea toa reduced charge was acceptedby prosecutors.
Graham, 18, of Burnbridge Drive, Strathaven, was sentenced at Hamilton Sheriff Court on Wednesday last week after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing last month.
He admitted carrying out the attack at a house in Strathaven on February 8 last year.
The graphic sexual nature of the assault is not suitable for publication but part of the charge states that Graham held his victim down on a bed and attempted to induce her to give him oral sex.
Graham’s defence agent, Lorraine Glancy QC, told the court she thought “probation would be beneficial” to her client, who, she said, had a stable family background.
Sheriff John Stewart said: “My first thought was to give him a period of probation but, having read the reports, the social work department don’t seem to be in agreement.”
However, Ms Glancy urged the sheriff to consider a probation order, adding: “He is unlikley to come before the court in connection with a similar matter.”
Sheriff Stewart placed Graham on probation for two years.